Picture this. You’re having a lazy day in and you’re suddenly hit with sugar cravings, you’re desperately in need of a dessert or some sort of sweet treat, that is quick and easy to make. Sounds familiar? This gluten free cinnamon roll recipe is for you.
This gluten free cinnamon roll recipe makes delicious, soft cinnamon rolls in less than 30 minutes. With less than 15 minutes of preparation time and 15-20 minutes of cooking time, this cinnamon roll recipe has become our go to when we’re looking for a quick, sweet snack. Especially because all of the ingredients for this gluten free cinnamon roll recipe are staples in our house.
- 145g gluten free plain flour plus some extra for dusting your counter (we use the homebrand flour from our local supermarket – Coles however we’ve also used Orgran and White Wings with no variation in the final outcome!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g salted butter (melted)
- 110g plain yoghurt (Greek-style)
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 50g of butter (softened)
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 60g of icing sugar
- 1 tbsp of milk
If you’d like to see the exact process for making the gluten free cinnamon rolls make sure to watch the video above. The video shows how the cinnamon roll dough should look throughout each step of the process, making it extremely useful for anyone who is making them for the first time. Once you’ve watched the video and are ready to make your own gluten free cinnamon rolls the written instructions are below.
- Preheat your oven to 190C (approximately 375F).
- Combine the gluten free plain flour with the baking powder, melted butter, yoghurt, caster sugar and vanilla bean paste (or extract) until smooth and lump free. The dough will be wet but you should be able to handle it. If not, continue to add small amounts of flour until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Place a sheet of baking paper down on your counter.
- Sprinkle flour onto the baking paper. This will help prevent the dough from sticking.
- Put the dough onto the baking paper. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin press down on and roll the dough, flattening it into a rectangular shape that’s approximately 0.5-1cm thick. Once complete, set aside.
- In a bowl combine the softened butter with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the cinnamon filling evenly across the dough. We use the back of a metal spoon to do this.
- Roll the dough lengthways. Using the baking paper to assist you in carefully rolling the dough tightly.
- Slice the dough into equal slices around 2cm thick. Note: the cinnamon rolls we make are small, if you’d like your gluten free cinnamon rolls to be larger make the slices thicker.
- Lightly spray a muffin/cupcake tray with cooking oil. You can cook the cinnamon rolls on a normal flat tray however the muffin/cupcake tray helps the cinnamon rolls hold their form. Cinnamon rolls cooked on a flat tray with be thin as they spread out as they cook.
- Place the cinnamon rolls into the tray.
- Cook the cinnamon rolls in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Take the rolls out the oven and leave them to cool.
- While the cinnamon rolls are cooling in a bowl mix together the icing sugar and milk. If you’d like your icing to be thicker, add additional icing sugar one teaspoon at a time until you get your desired consistency.
- Drizzle the icing over the cinnamon rolls.
- They’re now ready to eat! Congratulations you’ve successfully made gluten free cinnamon rolls.
We hope you enjoyed our gluten free cinnamon rolls recipe. If you end up trying our gluten free cinnamon rolls recipe make sure to let us know how you went in the comments down below or on our socials. We love hearing how you went!