*Please note there are Amazon Affiliate links in this article*
Eating gluten free means a lot of sacrifice. Particularly when it comes to food that is deep fried or battered, like onion rings. 99% of the time when ordering out the batter used contains gluten and the other 1% of the time the dish is cooked in oil with food that does contain gluten, meaning it’s definitely off limits for coeliacs (like myself!). Onion rings are one thing that I’ve really missed since being diagnosed, they used to be a treat when eating out at a restaurant or grabbing take out. Being Coeliac, I just presumed Wehan and I would never eat them again. However when embarking on this gluten free adventure Wehan and I decided that we didn’t want to make any sacrifices and that we’d work to find a way to cook all of the food we enjoyed previously without making any sacrifices.
Over the last month I’ve had cravings for onion rings (probably as a result of all of the fast food ads I’ve been seeing on my social media – seriously I swear I get more now that I’m not eating gluten!). So, I set out on a mission to make my own with an easy recipe that was relatively quick and simple to follow. After merging and tweaking a couple of more complicated gluten free onion ring recipes I’ve come up with a recipe that is not only easy to make but is DELICIOUS. Taste or texture has definitely not been sacrificed in this gluten free onion ring recipe. I may be a little biased but I think they’re the best onion rings we’ve ever had. Anyway, enough of my rambling, enjoy my gluten free onion ring recipe!
- 3 large onions (we used red onions but you can use whichever onions you prefer)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of milk (we used full cream milk)
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of gluten free plain/all purpose flour (we use the homebrand flour from our local supermarket – Coles however we’ve also used Orgran and White Wings with no variation in the final outcome!)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of gluten free plain/all purpose flour (for coating the onions)
- oil (for frying the onions) – we used vegetable oil
Please note, this recipe makes approximately 10 serves, it makes a lot of onion rings! You can easily halve this recipe and have less.
Watch the video above to see exactly how to make the onion rings. I always recommend watching the video at least once before attempting a recipe so you can see how the mix should look throughout each step of the process. When you’re ready to make the recipe the written instructions are below.
- Cut the top and bottom of the onions off and peel the skin off.
- Slice the onions into rings, you can cut to whichever thickness you desire. We made them around 5-10mm thick.
- Separate the layers, discarding of the smaller middle pieces, and set the individual rings aside.
- Mix the milk, oil, and eggs on low speed using a stand mixer. If you are mixing this by hand just whisk until fully combined.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder then mix until it has a smooth consistency. Set the mix aside.
- Grab a large saucepan and add the oil into it. We added enough oil to be approximately 3 cm deep.
- Have the saucepan on high heat until the oil reaches 190 degrees Celsius (approximately 375 degrees Fahrenheit). Then turn the heat down slightly.
- Dip the onion rings into the remaining half a cup of flour, ensuring that they are coated so that the batter can adhere to them.
- Dip the onion rings in the batter mix that was set aside previously. Push the onion into the batter and ensure it is fully coated. Lift the onion ring up and allow the excess batter to drip off.
- Place the coated onion rings into the oil, we usually cook 3 at a time. Fry the onion rings until they are golden. When one side is the desired colour, flip the onion rings over to ensure that they are cooked throughout. Continue this process until you have cooked all of the onion rings.
- Congratulations, you have now successfully made gluten free onion rings! Dish them up and pair them with your favourite dipping sauce like a smokey BBQ sauce or a tomato relish. Or you can get a little creative and add them to other dishes like burgers for instance.
We hope you enjoyed our gluten free onion rings recipe. If you gave the recipe a shot make sure to let us know your thoughts in the comments or on our socials.