*Please note there are Amazon Affiliate links in this article*
I am so excited to share our gluten free Tim Tam recipe with you guys. Seeing as Australia Day is coming up we decided it would be the perfect time to share an Aussie classic for today’s recipe, Tim Tams.
For anyone who has no idea what a Tim Tam is let me give you the rundown. A Tim Tam is a classic Australian snack that consists of two crunchy chocolate biscuits sandwiched together with a chocolate buttercream filling that has been dipped in chocolate. Similar to a Penguin bar in the UK. Tim Tams are heavenly to say the least.
A few months ago we set out on a mission to make gluten free Tim Tams that look, taste and feel like a classic Tim Tam. And we think we’ve done a pretty good job. And here we are today, introducing to you our gluten free Tim Tam recipe, we hope you enjoy it.
- 55g of butter (melted)
- 55g of caster sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 200g of gluten free plain/all purpose flour (we use the homebrand flour from our local supermarket – Coles however we’ve also used Orgran and White Wings with no variation in the final outcome!)
- 1 Egg
Chocolate Buttercream Filling
- 120g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 300g of icing sugar
- 30ml of milk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 200g Milk Chocolate
If you’d like to see exactly how to make the gluten free Tim Tams make sure to watch the video above. The video shows how the Tim Tam mix should look throughout each step and therefore is extremely useful for anyone who is making them for the first time. Once you’ve watched the video and are ready to make your own gluten free Tim Tams the written instructions are below.
- In a bowl, mix together the melted butter, caster sugar and cocoa. I like to use a rubber spatula for this as I find it makes it easier to combine the wet and dry ingredients later on.
- Then mix through the maple syrup.
- Once mixed add the baking soda and plain flour.
- After mixing for a couple of minutes the mix should start to come together and form a ‘crumb-like’ consistency, when it reaches this add the egg.
- Continue mixing until the mix can be brought together into a ball.
- Roll out the biscuit dough into a ball. If you need to, add additional flour (one Tablespoon at a time) to remove any wetness or stickiness, leaving you with a consistency that is easy to mould and work with.
- When the dough reaches the desired consistency, wrap it tightly in cling wrap and place it in the fridge for 20 minutes. This will make the dough firmer and easier to work with.
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees celsius (275 degrees farenheit).
- Roll the dough out really thin.
- Using a ruler cut them into rectangles.
- Prepare a tray by lining it with baking paper. Place the biscuits onto this.
- Cook the biscuts in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take them out the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes.
- While the biscuits are cooling, in a stand mixer, mix the butter until creamy.
- Once creamy, add the icing sugar, milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and pinch of salt. Continue mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Add the buttercream onto a single biscuit. You can do this with a spoon but I like to use a piping bag to pipe the icing onto the biscuit.
- Once covered, place another biscuit on top. Continue step 15 and 16 until all biscuits are formed. Then place them in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate.
- Break the milk chocolate into small pieces. Put two thirds of the chocolate into the bowl and melt it in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
- Add the remaining milk chocolate and mix until melted.
- Coat the biscuits in the milk chocolate, ensuring all sides are covered.
- Place the covered biscuits into the fridge.
- Once the chocolate has hardened they are ready to eat. Enjoy.
We hope you enjoyed our gluten free Tim Tam recipe. If you give the recipe a shot and end up making your own gluten free Tim Tams make sure to let us know in the comments down below or on our socials.