*Please note: there are amazon affiliate links in this article.
White chocolate caramel slice…. don’t lie, you know you’re drooling at the thought of it! I don’t blame you, this recipe is absolutely delicious! Growing up, anytime my mom or dad allowed me to pick a cake or dessert at a cafe I ALWAYS picked a caramel slice. A caramel slice is just so gooey and delicious. It’s the kind of dessert that always tastes good. A bad caramel slice still tastes good, and on the other hand, the best caramel slices are mindblowingly good.
When I was diagnosed as coeliac, I just presumed I’d never be able to eat a caramel slice again. But I really wanted to make one for Wehan’s birthday in June, alas I went on the hunt for a good gluten free caramel slice recipe. After some tweaking and experimenting, here we are, with this gluten free white chocolate caramel slice recipe that I’ve decided to share with you all.
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten free plain flour (we use the homebrand flour from our local supermarket – Coles however we’ve also used Orgran and White Wings with no variation in the final outcome!)
- 1 cup of desicated coconut
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 160 grams of salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tins of condensed milk (approximately 780-800g total)
- 130g of salted butter
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup
White Chocolate Topping
- 200g of white chocolate
You can watch the video above for the full tutorial. As always, I recommend watching the video at least once before attempting the recipe so you can see how the mix should look throughout each step of the process. The written instructions however are below.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (which is approximately 356 degrees farenheit).
- Prepare a pan to put your caramel slice in, line it with baking paper. I used a 24cm by 24cm pan.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, coconut, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Mix until there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Once mixed, stir in the melted butter.
- Add the mixture into the pan. Then use the back of a spoon or a spatula, to press the mixture down, ensuring it’s spread evenly and sits flat throughout the pan.
- Put the mix into the oven for 10 minutes. As the mix starts to turn golden remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- While the biscuit cools, place the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium heat and continually whisk the mix, slowly, until the butter has melted.
- Continue slowly whisking, ensuring that the mix doesn’t stick to the pan. Overtime the caramel will thicken and will become darker in colour. As soon as the mixture reaches a slow boil, remove it from the heat.
- Pour the caramel mix over the top of the biscuit base. Again, using the back of a spoon or the spatula, spread the mix evenly across the base and ensure it sits flat and smooth throughout the pan.
- Put the biscuit and caramel mix into the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the mix from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Milk Chocolate Topping
- Once the mix is completely cooled, move onto the chocolate topping. If you’re using a chocolate block, break the chocolate up into smaller pieces and place them in a microwave safe bowl (if you’re using chocolate chips you won’t have to break the chocolate up into small pieces).
- Place the mix into the microwave for 30 seconds.
- After the 30 seconds is up, take the chocolate out of the microwave and stir it.
- Repeat the process of microwaving for 30 seconds, then stirring the mix until the chocolate is completely melted.
- As soon as the chocolate is completely melted pour it over the caramel filling and smooth it out with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Once smooth, put the mix into the fridge. The mix will need to stay in the fridge for at least an hour, to allow the chocolate to harden.
- After letting the mix sit in the fridge for at least an hour, take it out the fridge. Remove the slice from the pan and cut it into small squares.
- The slice is now ready to eat! Enjoy.
There you have it! You’ve now made a delicious gluten free white chocolate caramel slice. We hope you enjoy this white chocolate caramel slice recipe as much as we do. If you end up giving the recipe a shot make sure to let us know in the comments and share pictures with us on our socials.